RE: st: Spurious inference from endogeneity tests

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   RE: st: Spurious inference from endogeneity tests
Date   Mon, 30 Jan 2012 16:19:49 +0100

Dear Mark,

Thank you for pointing me out the difference between testing the exogeneity and strength of instruments. Indeed, my standard IV/GMM results suggests that I have somewhat weakish instruments and it may be worthwhile to try your A-R approach at last. Even though the manuals claim that the standard approach is good enough (at least for the special case of just one endogenous regressor), I understand now that your A-R approach may produce relatively more reliable results the higher the number of endogenous regressors and the lower the strength of the instruments suggested by the standard IV/GMM results.

Andreas

[email protected] schrieb: -----
An: <[email protected]>
Von: "Schaffer, Mark E"
Gesendet von: [email protected]
Datum: 29.01.2012 14:55
Betreff: RE: st: Spurious inference from endogeneity tests

Andreas,

I don't see what the "point" is, to be honest.  These are two conceptually separate issues that relate to the two separate requirements for valid instruments in standard IV/GMM estimation: (1) exogeneity of instruments, which can be tested using an overid stat if the eqn is overidentified; (2) strength of instruments (weak or under-identification), which can be be tested using a Cragg-Donald or Anderson-type stat.

The A-R test stat reported by -ivreg2- to which you refer relates to the A-R approach, which I described in my previous post.  It using the A-R method to test whether 0 lies in the confidence interval for the endogenous regressor.

There is no "Stock-Yogo-Wright" statistic.  You are confusing the Stock-Wright S statistic (which is a close relative of the A-R test stat) with the Stock-Yogo critical values for the Cragg-Donald test stat (used to test instrument strength in standard IV estimation).

> To what degree do I need to doubt these test statistics
> because of lacking robustness to weak instruments and use an
> alternative approach instead?

If your standard IV/GMM results suggest that you have weak or weak-ish instruments, you can consider using the AR approach or its relatives (-rivtest-, -condivreg-, the extension to K>1 regressors I sketched out, etc.)

--Mark