st: Re: IVREG2 and Multi-way Clustering

From   Jessie C <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: IVREG2 and Multi-way Clustering
Date   Sun, 29 Jan 2012 18:23:31 -0500

Mark,

Thank you for your continued patience.  I am very grateful for you
continuing to take the time to help.

I am confused though as to why what I did was just a coincidence.  I
looked around some more and just found another paper by Cameron and
Gelbach:
www.econ.ucdavis.edu/working_papers/10-7.pdf, p. 14

It says that the two-way clustering is based on a one-way clustering formula:

"For two-way clustering this robust variance estimator is easy to
implement given software that computes the usual one-way
cluster-robust estimate. We obtain three different cluster-robust
\variance" matrices for the estimator by one-way clustering in,
respectively, the first dimension, the second dimension, and by the
intersection of the first and second dimensions.  Then add the first
two variance matrices and, to account for double-counting, subtract
the third.  Thus V_{two-way}(beta) = V_1(beta) + V_2(beta) - V{1
intersection 2}(beta)."