RE: st: Spurious inference from endogeneity tests

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   RE: st: Spurious inference from endogeneity tests
Date   Fri, 27 Jan 2012 23:52:02 +0100

I am not sure if conducting the AR test in the K-regressor is the optimal solution to my problem. As I said, X1hat is a combined instrument for the endogenous variable X1, which has been estimated in a preliminary regression on all available instruments Z. Analogously, the interaction X1hat*X2 (X2 exogenous) will be the instrument for the endogenous interaction term X1*X2. Using this approach to properly instrument the endogenous interaction term, I will obtain no more instruments than endogenous regressors by construction. In other words, the model is exactly identified and testing for overidentifying restrictions will be redundant. I don't see why I should be worried as long as the weak instrument robust Anderson Rubin test rejects its null ("H0: B1=0 and overidentifying restrictions are valid") that the model is misspecified. Better still, weak instrument robust inference might be of less concern if the F-statistic of the Stock Yogo (2002) test to detect weak instruments !
 yields a value of >10 with two instruments, right? Of course I can run a specification test by computing additional instruments from forming the powers of X1hat and X1hat*X2 to invoke the Sargan test statistic in -ivreg2-. However, what is the lesson to be learned from artificially introducing overidentification? In case the Sargan test statistic is insignificant, nothing will indicate that the model is overidentified or misspecified. Based on these results, I could eventually test whether the 2SLS coefficients substantially and systematically deviate from the OLS coefficients using a Hausman test and decide what to prefer for conducting statistical inference.

I hope the methodology described above satisfies the current state-of-the-art requirements for statistical inference. This does not just mean that I am tired of using sophisticated econometrics, but the goal of my research is to gain empirical evidence from data analysis rather than evaluating the most complex tools available to solve presumably simple endogeneity problems.

Best,
Andreas

[email protected] schrieb: -----
An: <[email protected]>
Von: "Schaffer, Mark E"
Gesendet von: [email protected]
Datum: 26.01.2012 23:05
Betreff: RE: st: Spurious inference from endogeneity tests

Andreas,

If you are feeling adventurous, you could try implementing the Anderson-Rubin (weak-instrument-robust) approach to the K-regressor case.  I think it's discussed in Dufour (2003), "Identification, Weak Instruments and Statistical Inference in Econometrics" (full reference in the -ivreg2- help file references).

In the 1-endogenous-regressor case, the AR approach (which rivtest and condivreg extend) is to construct a confidence interval for the regressor beta_1.  In the 2-endogenous-regressor case, the AR approach is to construct a confidence *set* for the regressors (beta_1, beta_2).

You could implement this by a simple grid search - a bit of a hassle, but not that bad.

HTH,
Mark

registered under charity number SC000278.

Heriot-Watt University is the Sunday Times
Scottish University of the Year 2011-2012