RE: st: scientific notation turn off

From   Doug Hess <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   RE: st: scientific notation turn off
Date   Wed, 25 Jan 2012 16:16:21 -0500

Thank you, Nick. Does getting into programming mean learning Mata or
something else? I doubt I will do it anytime soon, but it might help
to understand what is going on in the background eventually .

-Doug

Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 13:28:09 +0000
From: Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: st: scientific notation turn off

In general, no; except in the sense that for any program you like you
could in principle write one very similar but control its output style
in exactly the way you like. Being a bit irritated that Stata does not
quite do what you want has for many of us been the trigger to get us
programming.

- -codebook- is an interesting example; it is one of several commands
that have been around for a while whose defaults may not respect the
very big datasets that many people routinely deal with.

Naturally, I am in total sympathy with anyone who regards "write a
program" as a very poor answer. Most people want hooks and handles to
tweak Stata's results, not a programming project.

Doug Hess

Is there a way to turn off scientific notation in general? For
instance, using the -codebook- command with the -detail- option it
will display -1.4619608 in the space in the output for the range of
values, but it won't display 144858 in the frequency section of the
report. Is there a way to alter this?