Re: FW: st: Comparing the similar model (but one in level and the other after taking the 1st difference)

From   Maarten Buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: FW: st: Comparing the similar model (but one in level and the other after taking the 1st difference)
Date   Tue, 24 Jan 2012 16:22:25 +0100

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 4:08 PM, Almutairi T. wrote:
> I cant see any relation b/w my question and the link (Positive log-likelihood values happen), please explain further.

Please do not respond privately. The reasons for that are discussed in
the Statalist FAQ
<http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/res/statalist.html#private>.

The main point is actually Nick's comment on that blog post. In short:
likelihoods have units of measurement and this unit of measurement is
derived from the unit of measurement of the dependent variable. So the
unit of measurement of two likelihoods from models with dependent
variables with different units of measurement will be different, and
these likelihoods can thus not be compared.

-- Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie
Universitaet Tuebingen