st: R: data prep for survival analysis with time varying covariate

From   <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: R: data prep for survival analysis with time varying covariate
Date   Sat, 21 Jan 2012 12:50:03 +0100

Dear Kyleigh,
I have expanded a  bit the chuck of dataset you provided the list with (10
patients, one failure each during the analysis time; patients are gathered
in two different groups (drugs, with a 0/1 dummy)), as in its original
version was impossible to analyze (too few observations). Two Cox
regressions were performed, considering either variable Waittime constant
over time (-stcox drugs Waittime-), or  variable Waittime varying with time
(interacting with a square root function of analysis time: -stcox drugs,
tvc(Waittime) texp((_t)^.5)-).
It's up to you to verify whether  these assumptions (cox regression and tvc,
namely) fit your research issue.
HTH and Kind Regards,
Carlo
...............................code
starts.......................................
input ID      Timetoevent     Event   Waittime
1       50                      0       40
2       73                      0       8
3       150                     1       100
4       100                     0       50
5        70                     0       10
6        35                     0       60
7       120                     1       80
8        20                     1        0
9       140                     0       100
10       200                    1        30
end
stset Timetoevent, id(ID) failure(Event==1)
g drugs=1 in 1/5
replace drugs=0 if drugs==.
stcox drugs Waittime
stcox drugs, tvc(Waittime) texp((_t)^.5)