RE: st: RE: Measures of association for a small sample

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: Measures of association for a small sample
Date   Wed, 11 Jan 2012 18:50:23 +0000

I guess there is some support for a kind of arm-waving argument that treating the data _as if_ they were a random sample at least provides a context for assessing the magnitude of association observed in that dataset. Plenty of researchers have it both ways by citing a P-value or confidence interval and flagging some reservations about whether that is valid.

However, a sample of 13 regions is difficult to imagine without some spatial dependence, and none of the procedures cited in this thread I think make any allowance for that. [I guess that concretely we are talking about some relation to the 15 regions of Chile, perhaps with some amalgamations for research purposes.]

Also, even monotonic correlation is still a subset of association or dependence.

I am not a great fan of general tests for dependence but FWIW no-one else seems aware of -bkrosenblatt- (SSC).

Distance correlation in the sense of

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distance_correlation

sounds a better procedure than the Blum-Kiefer-Rosenblatt test, but I am not aware of a Stata implementation.

Roger B. Newson

I would second the recommendation of -ktau-, but would be less keen on
-spearman-. The Daniels permutational limit theorem is a version of the
Central Limit Theorem that works very quickly for Kendall's tau-a but
not so quickly for Spearman's rho. For Kendall's tau-a with continuous
data, the null distribution is almost indistinguishable even at N=8. See
Kendall and Gibbons (1990).

Of course, if you want a confidence interval for Kendall's tau-a instead
of just a P-value, then you can use the -somersd- package, downloadable
from SSC. This should produce sensible results for N=18. As in:

somersd X Y, taua transf(z)

which gives an asymmetric confidence interval for Kendall's tau-a, using
the delta-jackknife method and the Normalizing and variance-stabilizing
Fisher z-transform.