st: RE: RE: subpops vs. over & lincom t vs. regress t in svyset data

From   "Scholes, Shaun" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: subpops vs. over & lincom t vs. regress t in svyset data
Date   Tue, 10 Jan 2012 10:12:32 +0000

Apologies these should be two lines:

generate nonblack = (race == 0) if !missing(race)
generate nonblack = (race == 0)

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Scholes, Shaun
Sent: 10 January 2012 10:02
To: [email protected]
Subject: st: RE: subpops vs. over & lincom t vs. regress t in svyset data

Michael, you first question is dealt with in Stata's (Version 12) survey data manual (pp.62-63). Using the over option will result in the exclusion of observations with missing values (gender==.).
Whether they are excluded by the subpop option or not depends on how your variable used to define the subpop deals with the missing observations.
Using the manual's example, if there are missing observations on race then:

generate nonblack = (race == 0) if !missing(race) generate nonblack = (race == 0)

will give different SEs when using:

svy, subpop(nonblack): mean birthwgt

The manual clearly states that the first approach ought to be used (observations with missing values will then make zero contribution to the variance).
There should then be no difference in results when using svy: mean birthwgt,over(race) or svy,subpop(nonblack): mean birthwgt.

I am more able to answer the first than the second question. But I note that the following code gives me identical SEs and t-statistic:

use http://www.stata-press.com/data/r12/nmihs
svy:regress birthwgt race
svy:mean birthwgt,over(race)
lincom[birthwgt]nonblack-[birthwgt]black

Best wishes
Shaun