st: Interval regression with skewed data

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Interval regression with skewed data
Date   Mon, 9 Jan 2012 15:56:34 +0000

Hello all,

I am struggling with an analysis and would like your insight.  I think
that I am looking at using interval regression but there are certain
aspects of the data that are worrying me.  First some background...

A number of water samples have been taken from around the UK, and a
microbiological examination of the water has been undertaken.  Whenever a
sample is sent to a lab, a whole suite of tests are done to count the
number of colony forming units of various organisms.  I therefore have a
number of outcomes, whose units are the number of colony forming units per
ml.  The aim of this part of the analysis is to compare the organism
levels found in different regions of the UK.

Some observations are left censored (0-6% depending on the outcome) - ie
<1 CFU/ml, or <10 CFU/ml - and some are right censored (0-59%) - ie. >3000
CFU/ml.  The censoring point varies,and so I thought that I would have to
use interval regression (Stata's -intreg-).

However, the data are not Normally distributed (which is an assumption of
interval regression), but are positively skewed with some outcomes having
a high number of zero counts (one has 75% zeros!).  In the book by J S
Long (Regression models for categorical and limited dependent variables,
2007), there was a discussion about how accelerated failure time (AFT)
models can be used to perform interval regression when the data are not
Normally distributed, but there was no example of how to do this.
Unfortunately I no longer have the book to provide you with the page
reference.

I have found a user written command -intcens-, which can perform
interval-censored survival analysis and fits a number of different
distributions, but I cannot find any documentation or examples of its use
(apart from the help file).

Does anyone have any examples of using AFT models to perform interval
regression or examples of using -intcens-?  Or do you think that there is
a better way I could be handling the data?

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Many thanks,

Gillian

ATTENTION:

This message contains privileged and confidential information intended
for the addressee(s) only. If this message was sent to you in error,
you must not disseminate, copy or take any action in reliance on it and
we request that you notify the sender immediately by return email.

Opinions expressed in this message and any attachments are not
necessarily those held by the Health and Safety Laboratory or any person
connected with the organisation, save those by whom the opinions were
expressed.

Please note that any messages sent or received by the Health and Safety
Laboratory email system may be monitored and stored in an information
retrieval system.
Think before you print - do you really need to print this email?

Scanned by MailMarshal - Marshal's comprehensive email content security
solution. Download a free evaluation of MailMarshal at www.marshal.com