Re: st: checking over dispersion in XTPOISSON

From   Muhammad Anees <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: checking over dispersion in XTPOISSON
Date   Sat, 7 Jan 2012 10:29:03 +0500

Sorry for picking late again.

I would recommend reading the Negative Binomial Regression by Joseph
Hilbe and James Hardin of the Cambridge University Publishing. It
contains much of the details about count data modelling and related
issues. Also you can download the extension to the Book freely from
Hilbe's webpages. Also stata codes and ado are given from the links
given below.

http://works.bepress.com/joseph_hilbe/16/
http://works.bepress.com/joseph_hilbe/

I hope this gives you answers to all your querries as I have found
answers to most of my querries from Hilbe's work. Thanks to Nick Cox
for guiding me firstly to these resources by hinting to use xtnbreg
and other ados, Joseph Hilbe, James Hardin and others to make my count
data practice easier.

Good Luck Raja.

Anees

On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 8:07 PM, Eric N <[email protected]> wrote:
> One of the problems with Poisson is that the variance is assumed to
> equal the mean which is a very restriction condition.   You might wish
> to try the negative binomial that also is used to analyze count data
> and is less restrictive in this regard.
>
> --Eric
>
> On 1/5/12, Rajaram Subramanian Potty <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I would like to know how one should check for overdispersion in a
>> model fitted using "xtpoisson". If one noticed overdispersion how to
>> correct it or which is the alternative analysis.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>

>> RAJARAM
>> *
>> *   For searches and help try:

> *   For searches and help try:

Best
Muhammad Anees
Assistant Professor/Programme Coordinator
COMSATS Institute of Information Technology
Attock 43600, Pakistan
http://www.aneconomist.com