Re: st: Meta analysis in single group,

From   David Hoaglin <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Meta analysis in single group,
Date   Fri, 6 Jan 2012 17:45:28 -0500

Tiago,

That is the usual situation: the estimated variances are used as if
they were the true variances.

The sizes of the studies may not be the major issue.  I would be
interested in seeing empirical evidence that having approximately
equal sample sizes in the studies leads to small bias in the summary
estimate.

The behavior of the inverse-variance-weighted mean will generally
depend on the effect measure.  It's a good idea to pay attention to a
warning (applicable to fixed-effect analyses) given by Yates and
Cochran in 1938 and repeated by Cochran in 1954 that, if the estimates
(here of the effect) and the estimates of their variances are
correlated, the summary estimate may be biased.  Bias can definitely
be a problem when the effect measure is the risk difference, and the
risk ratio and the odds ratio are likely to have similar difficulties.
 To be safe, one should avoid using inverse-variance weights with
those effect measures.

David