RE: st: Binary model with many zeros and few ones

From   Cameron McIntosh <[email protected]>
To   STATA LIST <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Binary model with many zeros and few ones
Date   Fri, 6 Jan 2012 08:49:17 -0500

Absolutely right... I would recommend:

Maalouf, M., & Trafalis, T.B. (2011). Robust weighted kernel logistic regression in imbalanced and rare events data. Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, 55(1), 168-183.

Newman, T.B. (1995). If Almost Nothing Goes Wrong, Is Almost Everything All Right? Interpreting Small Numerators. JAMA, 274(13), 1013.

King, G., & Zeng, L. (2001a). Explaining Rare Events in International Relations. International Organization, 55(3), 693-715.
King, G., & Zeng, L. (2001). Logistic Regression in Rare Events Data. Political Analysis, 9(2), 137-163.
http://gking.harvard.edu/files/0s.pdf ;
Tomz, M., King, G., & Zeng, L. (2003). ReLogit: Rare Events Logistic Regression. Journal of Statistical Software, 8(2).http://www.jstatsoft.org/v08/i02
Quigley, J., & Revie, M. (2011). Estimating the Probability of Rare Events: Addressing Zero Failure Data. Risk Analysis, 31(7), 1120–1132.
Quigley, J., Hardman, G., Bedford, T., & Walls, L. (2011). Merging expert and empirical data for rare event frequency estimation: Pool homogenisation for empirical Bayes models. Reliability Engineering & System Safety, 96(6), 687-695.
Zelig (R) does this too, for those interested:

Imai, K., King, G., & Lau, O. (January 2, 2012). Everyone’s Statistical Software, Package ‘Zelig’, Version 3.5-1.http://gking.harvard.edu/zelig/docs/zelig.pdfhttp://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/Zelig/index.html

Imai, K., King, G., & Lau, O. (2007). Zelig: Everyone’s Statistical Software. http://GKing.harvard.edu/zelig

Imai, K., King, G., & Lau, O. (2008). Toward A Common Framework for Statistical Analysis and Development. Journal of Computational Graphics and Statistics, 17(4),  892-913.http://gking.harvard.edu/gking/files/z.pdfhttp://gking.harvard.edu/zelig/http://www.r-project.org/user-2006/Slides/ImaiEtAl.pdfhttp://imai.princeton.edu/talk/files/kansas10.pdf

Cam