Re: st: removing leading blanks

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: removing leading blanks
Date   Sun, 1 Jan 2012 13:36:06 +0000

As the help for -charlist- explains,

" charlist may, for example, reveal the presence of problematic characters
    in a string variable which "should be" numeric.  It leaves behind a
    terse character list in r(chars); a space-separated character list in
    r(sepchars); and a space-separated numlist of ASCII codes in r(ascii).
    Any may be used in a subsequent command. Sometimes copying and pasting
    all or part of the displayed output to the command window may be the
    most practical way to use the output, say as argument to destring,
    ignore().

    Note in particular that many awkward characters may not print
    comprehensibly or visibly in your Results window. To some extent, this
    will depend on the font you choose. A particular pitfall is that
    char(32) and char(160) appear identical and may be overlooked in any
    case. The returned results showing ASCII codes are needed to solve many
    of these difficulties."

So, my guess is that -charlist- did not help you because you did not
look at its returned results, which are needed to distinguish char(9),
char(32) and char(160) -- or whatever char(#) looks like char(32) but
is not identical.

It's thus not correct that -charlist- cannot distinguish non-blank
characters. That is much of its rationale.

Nick