Re: st: insheet limit in string

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: insheet limit in string
Date   Fri, 9 Dec 2011 01:00:01 +0000

This is several questions bundled together.

1. str244 is an absolute limit in Stata 11 and in Stata 12 at present.

2. You are not alone in wanting bigger limits; the request is often
made at users' meetings.

3. -split- only works on existing variables that have been read in or
created. Its syntax is independent of -insheet-.

4. -insheet-'s -delimiter()- option specifies what separates fields
defining two or more variables. I don't understand your question here.

5. In addition to the approaches suggested by Matthew you could work
with longer strings in Mata. The thread in September gave examples of
this approach. But despite what you say parsing on ; looks your best
option to me.

Nick