st: RE: Quickest way of creating descriptive statistics tables

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Quickest way of creating descriptive statistics tables
Date   Thu, 8 Dec 2011 17:52:30 +0000

The Statalist FAQ asks that people use their real names as a mark of respect to the list.

I don't think there's a "best" here. The most popular downloads (all from SSC) appear to be -estout- (Ben Jann), -outreg- (John Gallup) and -outreg2- (Roy Wada).

You need to work out which is closest to your style.

I'll just add that the names are likely to confuse. -outreg2- used to be a program that expanded on -outreg-, but no longer.
-outreg- is completely rewritten now and doesn't really have much to do with -outreg2-. In many ways, it is more up-to-date in style.

Note, however, that there is a trade-off here. None of the programs offer "no pain" solutions. The people who benefit most are those who work with one program, study its documentation carefully, and get to know its little tricks. Trying to use any of these programs just a few times would save little or no time over manual editing.

AAA BBB

I've been wasting a large amount of time properly formatting
descriptive statistics tables. This method
(http://21cresearcher.blogspot.com/2009/09/stata-how-to-export-descriptive.html)
seems to be a good start but it doesn't allow me to format per row
(e.g. returns will have a different format than market cap, no matter
what the statistic).

What is the best way to export these tables to Word with minimal manual editing?