st: RE: Parallel elementwise function application in Mata?

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Parallel elementwise function application in Mata?
Date   Wed, 7 Dec 2011 11:40:10 +0000

Depends on f, which presumably is some mathematically-defined function not already part of Mata.

Yes, in the sense that you can write a Mata function to make this possible.

But I suspect that in most cases you would need to loop over the rows and columns inside the function any way, which in a way is saying No.

Otherwise, pointers may be what you are looking for.

Thomas Alexander Stephens

I'm using Mata in Stata 12. Given a matrix A and a scalar function f, which
has no side effects, I'd like to compute a matrix B with

   B[i, j] = f(A[i, j]).

Since there are no side effects, I'd like to run the elementwise
computations in parallel. Is this possible?