st: problem reading text data into stata

From   David Stromberg <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: problem reading text data into stata
Date   Mon, 05 Dec 2011 12:17:47 +0100

On a number of occasions, I have had problems reading tab-delimited text (string) data into Stata. For example, I cannot get stata to correctly read the tab-separated text file at
http://people.su.se/~dstro/textdata.txt

I tried opening it in Excel and resaving, saving as csv, identifying and
eliminating characters which makes Stata misread, etc. Either some lines
are missing, or some text is incorrect, e.g. text within parenthesis.

Any ideas no how to proceed?

Thanks!
David Stromberg