st: post-hoc test for 2x3 table

From   "Mitchell F. Berman" <[email protected]>
To   Stata List Server <[email protected]>
Subject   st: post-hoc test for 2x3 table
Date   Sun, 27 Nov 2011 18:29:34 -0500

I have a 2x3 table, looking at use of a specific drug (yes or know) and three different surgical procedures.

Fishers exact test gives me an overall significance value and demonstrates that the use of the drug is not the same for the three different surgical procedures, but I want to say which of the surgical procedures have a different rate of use. I could subset out 2 x2 tables from my 2x3 table and compare two operations at a time.

Is a Bonferroni correction the only way to adjust for the fact that I'm doing multiple post-hoc comparisons?
What if it were a 2x5 table with 5 different surgical procedures?

Is there some better way to approach this type of categorical data?

Thanks in advance.

Mitchell Berman
Columbia University