Re: st: manipulate built-in stata commands

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: manipulate built-in stata commands
Date   Thu, 24 Nov 2011 11:39:32 +0000

If a built-in command is defined by code not accessible to you, and
that is what "built-in" means, then absolutely not. -generate- is a
case in point.

If a built-in, meaning strictly "official", command is defined by an
.ado, you could enter that code and change it, but that would be _a
very bad idea_. Your question implies that you are doing this. If so,
any such habit may well bite you badly sooner or later. And in any
case you would lose all such changes when you upgrade and might lose
them when you -update-.

At most, clone official commands and then change the way a cloned
version under a different name works. Lots of user programming is
something like this.

If you let us know why you want to do this, you would get better and
more specific advice.

Nick

On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 11:17 AM,  <[email protected]> wrote:

> i'am trying to manipulate some commands the way they are more usefull to my purposes. Now after a view manipulations i'am stuck...i wanted to change the generate.ado when i noticed there isn't one. it's because it is a built-in command. so is there any chance to manipulate built-in commands the way it is with "normal" .ado-files?

Raoul Duke