Re: st: Need help on variance estimation using replication methods while incorporating raking

From   Steven Samuels <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Need help on variance estimation using replication methods while incorporating raking
Date   Tue, 22 Nov 2011 19:22:28 -0500

Several of your beliefs appear erroneous to me, because:

1. Raking is intended to decrease bias, not variance. In fact it will increase variance slightly because the raked weights tend to be more variable than the originals.

2. Weight trimming is intended to decrease variance at the expense of an increase in bias.  Thus the overall goal is to decrease mean square error (bias^2 + variance^2).

In Stata, you can create bootstrap replicates with Stas Kolenikov's -bsweights- module (-findit-).

To quote from the -help-

 "Note that for proper results, the survey agency must provide the original probability weights as inputs to bsweights. The same adjustment procedure that produces the publicly available weights from those probability weights should be applied to the bootstrap weights."

In other words, you must repeat the raking procedure for each replicate.

I suggest that you use Stata's default linearization variance method on your raked data. This is standard practice for those surveys, the majority, which do not provide replicates. The standard errors will not reflect  added variability due to estimating the weights, true, but this increase will usually be offset by other factors that make the estimated standard errors conservative.

Steve