Bookmark and Share

Notice: On April 23, 2014, Statalist moved from an email list to a forum, based at

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: st: tabulate produces inconsistent output?

From   Christian Raschke <>
Subject   Re: st: tabulate produces inconsistent output?
Date   Mon, 21 Nov 2011 10:23:09 -0600

Thanks for the answer. I tried that and the results is "package not found".


On 11/21/2011 10:19 AM, Muhammad Anees wrote:
Try -ssc uninstall tabulate- and -ssc uninstall tabulate- to check if
the update matters only for the -tabulate- in use.

On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 9:07 PM, Christian Raschke
<>  wrote:
Any other opinions?

The only suggestion so far is that I update my Stata. But I am fully updated
and there are no further updates available, so that is not the problem.

I am very concerned because there are no errors or any other problems
whatsoever that would indicate a faulty installation or the like. There are
no red flags, only clearly incorrect output.


On 11/19/2011 1:42 PM, Christian Raschke wrote:
Hello Stata-listers,

I am running into the following very odd problem: I have a factor variable
that I would like to -tabulate-, but every time I use -tab-, I get different
results. When running -tab- back to back on the same variable in the same
data set I get entirely different results every time.

All the years that I have used Stata, I've never had anything like this
happen, so I am totally stumped. There are only 2 variables in my data set:
a variable "ID" that is storage type double and the variable "pldel" that is
storage type byte.

Please see what I copied and pasted at the end of this email straight from
my interactive session. The same oddity occurs if I use the -tab pldel,
gen()- syntax; in that same session I continue to get different results
every time I run a simple tab, so the below are just two arbitrary examples.

If I open a new clean session of Stata, then tab works as expected. I did
not define any user defined programs or do anything anything else of that
nature in the broken session. The only commands in my Command History are
various versions of -use-, -tab-, -count-, -describe-, and -browse-.

So, what might have happened to break a basic command like -tab-? I know
that using a new session fixes the immediate problem at hand, but I want to
ensure that something like this does not happen in any of my data analyses
in the future!

If it matters, I'm running Stata 12.0 SE 64-bit on a Windows 7 machine.

I apologize if this has been discussed before, but a quick preliminary
search turned up nothing. I would appreciate any help troubleshooting.

. tab pldel

   Place of |
   Delivery |      Freq.     Percent        Cum.
          1 |    223,057       98.96       98.96
          2 |      2,191        0.97       99.93
          3 |        106        0.05       99.98
          9 |         46        0.02      100.00
      Total |    225,400      100.00
r; t=0.08 13:15:07

. tab pldel

   Place of |
   Delivery |      Freq.     Percent        Cum.
          1 |     62,726       99.41       99.41
          2 |        351        0.56       99.96
          9 |         23        0.04      100.00
      Total |     63,100      100.00
r; t=0.08 13:15:11

. count
r; t=0.02 13:15:14

Best regards,

Christian Raschke
PhD Candidate, Department of Economics
Louisiana State University

*   For searches and help try:
*   For searches and help try:

*   For searches and help try:

© Copyright 1996–2018 StataCorp LLC   |   Terms of use   |   Privacy   |   Contact us   |   Site index