RE: st: means compairison with weights and unequal variance

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: means compairison with weights and unequal variance
Date   Mon, 21 Nov 2011 10:31:36 +0000

Describing -local-s as variables is very likely to confuse in any Stata context. Similarly, you are free to think of Stata variables as vectors or columns privately, but Stata has a separate syntax for vectors strict sense.

See my postings earlier in the thread.

Barbro Widerstedt

local is a _variable_ (a scalar value), while - gen- generates a new
column ( a vector of values)

r(N) is the number of observations in your data set (=a number) , if
you successfully - gen - you would violate the requirements of the
command, which is for scalar values.