Re: st: RE: When to use stdize and stdweight with svy: tab and svy: mean?

From   Arturo Rodriguez <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: When to use stdize and stdweight with svy: tab and svy: mean?
Date   Fri, 18 Nov 2011 15:26:49 -0600

Thanks Shaun!

Would using the command you suggest __ svy: tab dummy district,
stdize(age) stdweight(varX) __ be equivalent to specifying
post-stratification weights and then using the svy: tab without the
stdsize and stdweight?

i.e.
svyset villages [pweight = pw] strata(health_center)
fpc(total_number_of_villages_per_hc) poststrata(age) psw(varX)
svy: tab tab dummy district

Thanks!
Arturo

On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 4:43 AM, Scholes, Shaun <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi Arturo, I think the short answer is that the stdize and stdweight options are only needed if you are interested in direct standardisation. If not, then svy:tab dummy district will be sufficient for your purposes.
>
> i) Your variable health_center is the sampling strata (and so is declared in the svyset command) - as is the sampling weight (pw).
> ii) You may (as I often do) want to adjust the sampling weight to ensure the same age distribution across groups. This would make age the standard strata; and stdweight would be a variable (call it varX) that would contain the population sizes in each age group.
>
> So then you would use:
>
> svy: tab dummy district, stdize(age) stdweight(varX)
>
> Hope this helps
> Shaun

Arturo Rodríguez
M.A. in International Development Economics
mobile: +52 (155) 8598 3608
email: [email protected]
skype: arturo_aus
twitter: @ArturoRT