Re: st: RE: new package margdistfit available on SSC

Subject   Re: st: RE: new package margdistfit available on SSC
Date   Fri, 18 Nov 2011 10:43:02 -0500

Maarten--
This is an interesting exercise, though I would think only relevant
for ML since no theoretical distribution is assumed for OLS etc.

Minor points:

1. A parametric regression typically does not allow parameters to
change as X changes, contrary to your text describing the command:
"The idea behind a parametric regression model is that it assumes a
distribution for the dependent variable, but lets one or more
parameters, typically the mean, change whenever the explanatory
variables change."

That (allowing parameters to change as X changes) is in fact what
(say) -lpoly- does, or other semi- or nonparametric methods.

Parametric regression models do not need to assume a distribution for
the dependent variable.
The conditional mean changes with X, but the parameters b multiplying
X do not change with X, by assumption.
And a linear regression need not be linear in variables, only linear
in parameters b.

This is easily fixed if you write instead of:

"The key concept in this command is the marginal distribution. The
idea behind a parametric regression model is that it assumes a
distribution for the dependent variable, but lets one or more
parameters, typically the mean, change whenever the explanatory
variables change. So, the marginal distribution of the dependent
variable implied by the model is a mixture distribution of N
distributions, such that each component distribution gets the
parameters of one of the observations in the data."

something like:

"The key concept in this command is the marginal distribution. The
idea behind a parametric regression model is that the conditional mean
of the dependent variable changes whenever the explanatory variables
change. So, the marginal distribution of the dependent variable
implied by the model is a mixture distribution of N distributions,
such that each component distribution gets the conditional mean of one
of the observations in the data."

2. What effect do heteroskedasticity or clustering of errors have on
your examples?   Must you assume i.i.d. errors?

3. The link to "helpfile" at http://www.maartenbuis.nl/software/margdistfit.html
pointing to http://repec.org/bocode/m/margdistfit.html
seems to be broken.