Re: st: Identifying the best scale without a "gold standard"

From   Cameron McIntosh <[email protected]>
To   STATA LIST <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Identifying the best scale without a "gold standard"
Date   Wed, 16 Nov 2011 13:15:26 -0500

Hi Paul,

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I agree with Ronan that predictive validity and sensitivity are also important criteria for a 'good scale', so I might postpone any firm judgment until you could collect such data to further assess the scales.
As to your comment about finding one eigenvalue > 1.0 in your data, this is now seen as a rather tenuous means to get at the number of non-trivial factors. Instead, you might try a parallel or Hull analysis to address that question:

Lorenzo-Seva, U., Timmerman, M.E., & Kiers, H.A.L. (2011). The Hull Method for Selecting the Number of Common Factors. Multivariate Behavioral Research, 46(2), 340-364.http://psico.fcep.urv.es/utilitats/factor/Description.html

Crawford, A.V., Green, S.B., Levy, R., Lo, W.J., Scott, L., Svetina, D., & Thompson, M.S. (2010). Evaluation of parallel analysis methods for determining the number of factors. Educational and Psychological Measurement, 70(6), 885-901.

Timmerman, M. E., & Lorenzo-Seva, U. (2011). Dimensionality Assessment of Ordered Polytomous Items with Parallel Analysis. Psychological Methods, 16, Epub ahead of print.http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21500916

Hayton, J.C., Allen, D.G., & Scarpello, V. (2004). Factor Retention Decisions in Exploratory Factor Analysis: a Tutorial on Parallel Analysis. Organizational Research Methods, 7(2), 191-205.http://orm.sagepub.com/content/7/2/191.full.pdf+html ;

That said, in my view EFA is one of the most deceptive and lax statistical procedures around, and I wouldn't use its output as a justification not to try an alternative structure such as a second-order model. I would just directly test the hypothesized model - the one I believed generated the data - and possibly some alternatives.

Best,
Cam