Re: st: svy + aweights

Subject   Re: st: svy + aweights
Date   Thu, 10 Nov 2011 16:59:22 -0500

The nature of the -cluster()- variance estimators is such that they
control for any correlation pattern that might be observed within a
PSU. This is a non-parametric estimator, and you are probably thinking
along the lines of something like GEE.

Suppose you have a model

y = grand mean + {m==cluser mean} + {u==individual mean} +
{e==observation measurement error}

with n subjects and k observations per subject. Assume that u and e
are homoskedastic. If you have k=1 observation per subject, then you
cannot distinguish u and e, and have essentially one error term. The
covariance matrix is then Var[u+e] times an exchangeable correlation
structure with corr = Var[m]/(Var[m]+Var[u]+Var[e]). If you have
multiple observations, k>1, per subject, your covariance matrix is
J(kn,kn,Var[m]) + I(n) # J(k,k,Var[u]) + I(nk)*Var[e], which is a more
complicated pattern. In GEE, you have to put these structures into the
objective function as working correlation structures to get your
estimates. With -cluster()-, you don't have to, but you should expect
your estimates to be less efficient compared to a situation when the
above model were true, and you ran a (feasible) GLS estimation. As
long as you have # of clusters -> infinity, you can build a consistent
estimator of (within-cluster) Var[y], which will be accounted for in
-svy- commands.

Hope this helps.