RE: st: * mark indicating between group significans in box plots

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: * mark indicating between group significans in box plots
Date   Thu, 10 Nov 2011 15:29:31 +0000

I'll still add a rider that not only do these box plots lose detail on the distributions, they throw away all information on the pairing.

Tukey himself had a good example of how a box plot can hide really important structure in Tukey, J.W. 1977. Exploratory data analysis. Reading, MA.

On pairing there are some ideas in

SJ-9-4  gr0041  . . . . . . Speaking Stata: Paired, parallel, or profile plots
        . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  N. J. Cox
        Q4/09   SJ 9(4):621--639                                 (no commands)
        explores paired, parallel, and profile plot making for
        changes, correlations, and other comparisons between
        variables

SJ-4-3  gr0005  . . . . .  Speaking Stata: Graphing agreement and disagreement
        Q3/04   SJ 4(3):329--349                                 (no commands)
        how to select the right graph to portray comparison or
        assessment of agreement or disagreement between data
        measured on identical scales

Perhaps your "collaborators" are acting as if they were your bosses. But even then "Well, that graph is a good idea, but let me suggest a better one!" would be the line I would take.

Lars Folkestad

Thank you that did the 'trick'.