Re: st: Bug in odbc - allstring?

From   [email protected] (Kevin Crow, StataCorp LP)
Subject   Re: st: Bug in odbc - allstring?
Date   Mon, 07 Nov 2011 14:01:35 -0600

Richard Palmer-Jones <[email protected]> wrote :

>I wonder if there is a bug in odbc with the "allstring" option? I try to load
>an excel worksheet which has some cells - for example - "1,2,3" corresponding
>to multiple responses to a question. The cell in the first row happens to have
>a "1" as only one response was recieved.  The variables in stata is all strings
>but the "1,2,3" type entries are missing.
>
>odbc load , dsn("XXX") table("YYY")  allstring lower clear
>
>import excel works fine, so there is a work around, but it is inconvenient
>that odbc appears not to.

We could not recreate Richard's problem with the -allstring- option of
-odbc load- using Excel 2010 with the latest Excel ODBC drivers downloaded
from

  http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=13255

We're contacting Richard to get more information about this problem and will
take this discussion off Statalist.  Once the issue has been resolved, we'll
post a followup to Statalist.

-Kevin Crow