st: RE: Multiple Imputation

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Multiple Imputation
Date   Mon, 7 Nov 2011 13:25:51 +0000

On write permission: This divides up various ways. You need to talk to someone at your institution about which directories you are accessing and which of these are write-able by you. It is possible that someone else at your institution is also a member of Statalist, but such questions are best answered locally. Alternatively, if the issue is that you do not understand how to use your operating system, not specified here, do seek guidance locally on how to find documentation, take courses, etc. The Stata message you quote explains that you should use -cd-, but in so far as it is not clear to you, it seems that you need to master some basics before you can do serious work under this heading.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of John Ebireri
Sent: 07 November 2011 12:57
To: [email protected]
Subject: st: Multiple Imputation

Dear Statalist,

I am having a problem with -mi-. I am using Stata version 11.2.

The problems that i am experiencing are in two folds: Firstly, after registering variables with missings as imputed and registering other variables as normal, what variables do i include into the univariate regression? All variables in the data set? Or just the variables i need for a specific model? Because including all the imputed variables as well as the normal variables into the regression brings up a mesage that says : "Option add( ) is required when no imputation exist." How do i specify what number to have in add( ) and rseed(  )?

This leads me to use only one of the registered imputated variables and all the registered normal variables in the univariate regression. I get this message afterwards: "Could not find a filename for temporary flongsep file. I tried _mitmpfile1.dta through _mitmpfile200.dta. Peharps you do not have write permission in the current directory . This may occur, for example, if you started Stata by clicking directly on the Stata executable on a netweork drive. You should make sure you have written permission for the current  directory or use cd to change to a directory that has write permission. Use pwd to determine you current directory." I dont understand how to change to a directory that has write pwermission.

Thanks.

John.