st: RE: Multinomial logit with a nonlinear combination utility equation

From   "CJ Lan" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Multinomial logit with a nonlinear combination utility equation
Date   Tue, 1 Nov 2011 19:51:52 -0400

Not sure if the following material starting with p.26 is helpful but
just sent it to you for your reference.

http://fmwww.bc.edu/gstat/docs/stataMLNL.pdf

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Simons, Chris
Sent: Tuesday, November 01, 2011 1:16 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: st: Multinomial logit with a nonlinear combination utility
equation

I'm new to Stata and I want to estimate a multinomial logit model where
the logit utility equation is not a simple linear combination. Some of
the variables to be estimated must be within a log operation. For
example, the utility equation typically looks like this:

Util = p1*a + p2*b + ln(c + p3*d)

where p1, p2 and p3 are the parameters to be estimated and a, b, c and d
are independent variables.

It's my understanding that standard solution algorithms may have a
difficult time solving such a problem and that specialized algorithms
may be necessary. I've looked at the -ml- command and trying to figure
out how to program the problem including specify the log-likelihood
functions, gradients and hessian's is daunting enough (for me - maybe
not for many of you!). I'm concerned that even if I did manage to
specify them correctly the solution algorithm may still struggle.

Is there an existing package (or other command) to handle such
estimations? I have been unable to find any in my searches. Any advice
would be appreciated.

I'm currently using Stata/SE 11.2 for Windows (32-bit)  Born 30 Mar
2011.

Thanks,
Chris

Chris N. Simons
Senior Transportation Planner

ATKINS

1600 RiverEdge Parkway, NW, Suite 600, Atlanta, GA, 30328 | Tel: +1
(770) 933-0280 | Direct: +1 (678) 247-2457 |
Cell: +1 (770) 653-3993 | Email: [email protected] | Web
www.atkinsglobal.com/northamerica  www.atkinsglobal.com

This electronic mail communication may contain privileged, confidential,
and/or proprietary information which is the property of The Atkins North
America Corporation, WS Atkins plc or one of its affiliates. If you are
not the intended recipient or an authorized agent of the intended
recipient please delete this communication and notify the sender that
you have received it in error. A list of wholly owned Atkins Group
companies can be found at
http://www.atkinsglobal.com/site-services/disclaimer

Consider the environment. Please don't print this email unless you
really need to.

PLEASE NOTE: Florida has a very broad public records law. Most written communications to or from the Town of Jupiter officials and employees regarding public business are public records available to the public and media upon request. Your e-mail communications may be subject to public disclosure. Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing. The views expressed in this message may not necessarily reflect those of the Town of Jupiter. If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this message, and please delete it from your computer. Thank you.