st: excel import issue

From   "Dimitriy V. Masterov" <[email protected]>
To   Statalist <[email protected]>
Subject   st: excel import issue
Date   Tue, 1 Nov 2011 15:23:21 -0400

I am using Stata 12 MP on a 64-bit Windows 7 machine. Current update
level is 13 Oct 2011.  I've been trying to load a series of Excel
files, but I am running into a problem I can't figure out. For
example:

import excel using "Top 30 Market Data with TUSA EBITDA 10-25-11.xlsx", sheet("
> summary") allstring firstrow cellrange(A4:AI35) clear;
file Top 30 Market Data with TUSA EBITDA 10-25-11.xlsx could not be loaded
r(603);

Doing this through the dialog menu gives "Mandatory Element Missing"
error when I try to specify the Excel file to use.

Taking the spaces and hyphens out of the file name does not fix
things. There's some stupid formatting, but the cell range I am trying
to import appears to be free from it.

Does anyone have any idea how to hack this one?

DVM