Re: st: eclplot - change the order of y-axis variables

From   "Roger B. Newson" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: eclplot - change the order of y-axis variables
Date   Fri, 28 Oct 2011 21:03:27 +0100

-eclplot- plots 3 numeric variables (containinng the estimates and the upper and lower confidence limits) against another numeric variable (given by the parmid_varname). A numeric variable cannot be ordered alphabetically.

However, if your numeric parmid_variable was produced using -encode- from a string variable, then, in default, its numeric values will be ordered in alphabetic order of its labels.

Is that how you produced your numeric parmid_variable? Because, if this is the case, then the answer is to encode the original string variable to a numeric variable using -sencode- instead of -encode-. The -sencode- package is downloadable from SSC, and is a "super" version of -encode-. It has a -gsort()- option, which allows the user to sort the numeric values in a non-alphabetic order. If no -gsort()- option is specified, then -sencode- encodes in order of appearance of the string values in the dataset. An example of the use of -sencode- appears in the on-line help for -eclplot-.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further queries.

Best wishes

Roger

Roger B Newson BSc MSc DPhil
Lecturer in Medical Statistics