Re: st: RE: Leap years in computing age

Subject   Re: st: RE: Leap years in computing age
Date   Wed, 26 Oct 2011 11:04:53 -0400

Chris <[email protected]> :
I agree with Nick about "precise age in years." Your existing
calculation is not correct, in that it does not measure age in years
or portions thereof exactly, but presumably you do not want to count
someone as closer to the discontinuity if they are 5 days away in 1980
instead of 1981, right?  Compare:

clear
set obs 5
g birthday=mdy(2,29,1980) in 1/3
g eventday=mdy(2,28,1981) in 1
replace eventday=mdy(3,1,1981) in 2
replace eventday=mdy(3,2,1981) in 3
replace birthday=mdy(2,28,1979) in 4/5
replace eventday=mdy(2,27,1980) in 4
replace eventday=mdy(2,29,1980) in 5
gen Age_years = year(eventday)-year(birthday)
gen Age_days  = doy(eventday) - doy(birthday)
gen age       = Age_years + Age_days/365
gen a2=Age_years+Age_days/(365+!mi(mdy(2,29,year(eventday))))
list

You should measure age in days elapsed, so that whether you divide by
365.x or not is irrelevant:
gen age=(eventday-birthday)
unless you need distance in days from some birthday, e.g. 18 or 65, in
which case you should calculate that directly.

Suppose age 65 is the cutoff, and try:

clear
set seed 1
range bd -24000 -14000 10001
gen ed=ceil(runiform()*10000)
format %td bd ed
drop if ed<bd
gen ad=ed-bd
gen Age_years = year(ed)-year(bd)
gen Age_days  = doy(ed) - doy(bd)
gen a0=Age_years+Age_days/365
la var a0 "First proposed age measure"
gen a1=Age_years+Age_days/(365+!mi(mdy(2,29,year(ed))))
la var a1 "Second proposed age measure"
gen b2=mdy(month(bd),day(bd),year(bd)+65)
replace b2=mdy(3,1,year(bd)+65) if month(bd)==2&day(bd)==29
gen a2=ed-b2
la var a2 "Age in days relative to 65th birthday"
list if inrange(a2,-1,1)