RE: st: Interaction with Squared Term

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Interaction with Squared Term
Date   Tue, 25 Oct 2011 22:33:56 +0100

To reinforce Richard's point: Ryan may be looking for an update to -mlogit-. But such a built-in command won't be updated independently of Stata as a whole, which is done through the -update- machinery.

Richard Williams

At 01:48 PM 10/25/2011, Ryan Goodstein wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I am trying to estimate a multinomial logit specification that
>includes a categorical variable interacted with a squared term.
>Specifically:
>
> > mlogit dq60 invPS##c.o_ltv##c.o_ltv ageq ageq2
>
>Stata (v11) gives me the following error:
>
> > invalid interaction specification;
> >
> > multiple 'o' operators attached to a single variable are not
> allowed within an
> > interaction specification{p_end}
>
>I saw a post on this on Stata List from 2009 which says this bug will
>be fixed in an update
>(http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2009-10/msg00584.html), but I
>haven't been able to find an update.  Has this bug been fixed?

I've just tried commands that appear similar to me with no problems.
The fact that you say "I haven't been able to find an update" and
that you say you are using Stata (v11) rather than Stata (v11.2) make
me wonder if you are clear on how to update. There is nothing you
need to find. Just give the command

update all

and Stata will take it from there (assuming you have write access to
your machine). If you do indeed have the latest and greatest version
of Stata 11.2 and still have problems, let us know.