Re: st: how to set the memory size

From   Daniel Feenberg <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: how to set the memory size
Date   Tue, 25 Oct 2011 08:07:16 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 25 Oct 2011, Tuki wrote:

Dear all,

I encountered a problem in processing a huge number of data in stata.  I try
to use the command “set memory”, unfortunately, my system only allow me to
set maximum memory to 900m. But I need to process more than 10 million
observation, which requires much more than 900m in stata.  How to increase
the memory of stata to meet my requirement of the space for the data?

I would guess that your system has 1.5 or 2GB of physical memory, and since Stata requires all data reside in memory, that limits the size of the dataset you can work with. You can probably upgrade to 4GB with some new memory sticks (but only 3.5 GB will be usable with a 32 bit Stata and OS). Look at -query memory- after loading a portion of the data, and use that to predict how much you will need in total.

If you can partition your problem such that only some of the data needs to be in memory, the -infile- and -using- statements will allow you to select on row and column so that only the data you are actually using will be taking up memory.

Dan Feenberg

Many thanks in advance!