st: RE: save9.ado updated to run in Stata 12

From   Marco Ercolani <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: save9.ado updated to run in Stata 12
Date   Tue, 25 Oct 2011 10:58:43 +0100

Dear Joerg,

The reason for specifying a save9 command is to make any version of
Stata save the dataset into a specific version number. This is useful for
co-authors using different versions of Stata (e.g. Stata 12 and Stata
10) and in particular when sharing both "do" files and datasets. Thought
the saveold command exists, this is Stata-version dependent. Save9 is
also useful to make sure the data are always saved into a specific format
that other statistical packages can import regardless of which version of
Stata one upgrades to (e.g. Gretl can't import Stata 12 data). An old
request for these types of save# commands was made some time ago:
http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2007-06/msg00135.html

yours sincerely,

Marco.