Re: st: rolling and ts operators

From   Richard Herron <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: rolling and ts operators
Date   Mon, 24 Oct 2011 09:50:16 -0400

It may be easiest to think of -rolling- and -regress- in two steps.
First -rolling- grabs a window of 7 observations and hands off these
data to -regress-. Then -regress- regresses, but is only able to use 6
of these observations because in the first window the lagged value
isn't available.

If you add -N = e(N)- to your -rolling- command you can see how many
observations -regress- used.

Also, there is no need to use loops with -rolling-; it is panel aware
(at least in 11.2). The following should help with the -N = e(N)- bit.

webuse grunfeld, clear
rename company id
keep if id == 2 // just a test firm
xtset id year
gen end = year
tempfile stats
rolling _b N = e(N), window(7) recursive saving(`stats', replace) ///
    : reg invest mvalue l.mvalue f.mvalue kstock
merge 1:1 id end using `stats', nogenerate
xtset id year

* calculating error term *
gen e = invest - (_b_cons + _b_mvalue*mvalue + _stat_2*l.mvalue ///
    + _stat_3*f.mvalue + _b_kstock*kstock)