Re: st: Machine spec for 70GB data

From   Joerg Luedicke <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Machine spec for 70GB data
Date   Sat, 22 Oct 2011 09:25:40 -0400

What are "a few millions"? If by that you mean like a handful then you
must have a ton of variables. If you do not need all of them for your
analyses, you can read the data in in chunks, set up the variables you
need, and eventually put it together again. However, in my experience
it seems difficult to fit more complicated multilevel models in Stata
when sample size becomes large. I find this to be especially true in
the case of models with crossed random effects. So just beware, even
if you get all the data you want into memory, you may not be able to
run the model you propose.

J.