RE: st: Multiple endogenous regressors

From   Cameron McIntosh <[email protected]>
To   STATA LIST <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Multiple endogenous regressors
Date   Thu, 20 Oct 2011 19:00:52 -0400

Hi Elizabeth,
Your questions aren't too basic, but at the same time are not neatly separable into packets of references for each. :) There are several related discussions (multiple endogenous regressors) in the Stata archives, so I would search there. Also, see the following papers:
Abrevaya, J., Hausman, J.A., & Khan, S. (2010). Testing for Causal Effects in a Generalized Regression Model With Endogenous Regressors. Econometrica, 78(6), 2043–2061.
Chalak, K., & White, H. (2011). An Extended Class of Instrumental Variables for the Estimation of Causal Effects. Canadian Journal of Economics, 44(1), 1-51. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1540-5982.2010.01622.x/pdf
Baum, C.F., & Schaffer, M.E. (2003). Instrumental variables and GMM: Estimation and testing. The Stata Journal, 3(1), 1…-31.http://faculty.washington.edu/ezivot/econ583/sjpdf.pdf
Baum, C.F., Schaffer, M.E., & Stillman, S. (2007). Enhanced routines for instrumental variables/generalized method of moments estimation and testing. The Stata Journal, 7(4), 465-506.http://www.stata-journal.com/sjpdf.html?articlenum=st0030_3
Baum, C.F., Schaffer, M.E., & Stillman, S. (2002). IVENDOG: Stata module to calculate Durbin-Wu-Hausman endogeneity test after ivreg.Statistical Software Components S494401, Boston College Department of Economics (revised 29 May 2007).http://ideas.repec.org/c/boc/bocode/s429401.html
Schaffer, M.E. (Nov. 1, 2005). IXTIVREG2: Stata module to perform extended IV/2SLS, GMM and AC/HAC, LIML and k-class regression for panel data models. http://ideas.repec.org/c/boc/bocode/s456501.html
Baum, C.F., Schaffer, M.E., & Stillman, S. (Feb. 5, 2010). IVREG29: Stata module for extended instrumental variables/2SLS and GMM estimation (v9).http://ideas.repec.org/c/boc/bocode/s4254010.html ;
One other thing I would caution you on (and which I have mentioned recently on the list) is that no statistical test can certify whether a given variable (e.g., Z) is an instrument for a purported causal relation (X--->Y). Graphical methods are also required:
Brito, C., & Pearl, J. (2002). Generalized instrumental variables. In A. Darwiche and N Friedman (Eds.), Uncertainty in Artificial Intelligence: Proceedings of the Eighteenth Conference (pp. 85-93). San Francisco, CA:  Morgan Kaufmann.http://ftp.cs.ucla.edu/pub/stat_ser/r370.pdf
Pearl, J. (August 3, 2011). The Causal Foundations of Structural Equation Modeling. Technical Report R-370, UCLA Computer Science Department. Chapter for R. H. Hoyle (Ed.), Handbook of Structural Equation Modeling. New York: Guilford Press.http://ftp.cs.ucla.edu/pub/stat_ser/r370.pdf
Kyono, T.M. (2010). Commentator: A Front-End User-Interface Module for Graphical and Structural Equation Modeling. Technical Report R-364. Los Angeles, CA: Department of Computer Science, UCLA. Los Angeles, CA. http://ftp.cs.ucla.edu/pub/stat_ser/r364.pdf
Chan, H., & Kuroki, M. (2010). Using Descendants as Instrumental Variables for the Identification of Direct Causal Effects in Linear SEMs. In Proceedings of the 13th International Conference on Artificial Intelligence and Statistics (AISTATS) 2010, Chia Laguna Resort, Sardinia, Italy. Journal of Machine Learning Research, Workshop &Conference Proceedings, 9, 73-80. http://jmlr.csail.mit.edu/proceedings/papers/v9/chan10a/chan10a.pdf
Stanghellini, E. (2004). Instrumental variables in Gaussian directed acyclic graph models with an unobserved confounder. Environmetrics, 15(5), 463–469.
Cam