Re: st: Interpreting mediation model sobel goodman test

From   John Antonakis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Interpreting mediation model sobel goodman test
Date   Tue, 18 Oct 2011 21:11:28 +0200

Hi Meredith:

I assume you used the -sgmediation- package; I would not use this routine UNLESS your mediator is exogenous (and you are sure of this). If it is endogenous sgmedation will give you inconsistent estimates (it estimates the system of equations with OLS, and uses the dated Baron-Kenny methods); you do not tackle the endogeneity problem with sgmediation. You need to estimate your system of equations with an instrumental-variable estimator (e.g., 2SLS).

Take a look at this podcast, where I discuss this problem in detail:

Endogeneity: An inconvenient truth (full version) (about 32 minutes in length)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLuTjoYmfXs

If you just want the nitty gritty see:

Endogeneity: An inconvenient truth (for researchers)
(Excludes the "gentle introduction" content and discusses the two-stage least squares estimator straight away; about 16 minutes in length)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi_5M7oUceE

See also:

Antonakis, J., Bendahan, S., Jacquart, P., & Lalive, R. (submitted). Causality and endogeneity: Problems and solutions. In D.V. Day (Ed.), The Oxford Handbook of Leadership and Organizations.
http://www.hec.unil.ch/jantonakis/Causality_and_endogeneity_final.pdf

To understand exactly the nature of the problem run the following code, where x is endogenous with respect to y:

clear
set seed 123
set obs 1000
gen x = rnormal()
gen e = rnormal()
gen m = e + .5*x + rnormal()
gen y = .5*m - e + rnormal()
reg3 (y = m) (m = x), 2sls
nlcom [m]x*[y]m
sgmediation y, mv(m) iv(x)

From the above model, we have an instrument x, an endogenous regressor m, and omitted cause e, and a dependent variable y. We know that the indirect effect of x on y is .5*.5=.25. 2SLS recovers this parameter well (.24, p>.001). However, the sgmediation program gives .03 (and p = .04).

Now, let's rerun this to see when you'd get the same results with sgmediation (if x is exogenous with respect to y):

clear
set seed 123
set obs 1000
gen x = rnormal()
gen e = rnormal()
gen m = .5*x + rnormal()
gen y = .5*m + rnormal()
reg3 (y = m) (m = x), 2sls
nlcom [m]x*[y]m
reg3 (y = m) (m = x), ols
nlcom [m]x*[y]m
sgmediation y, mv(m) iv(x)

Notice that the 2SLS model is still consistent (but less efficient). The OLS estimator and sgmediation pretty much give the same estimates and standard errors.

HTH,
John.

Prof. John Antonakis
Faculty of Business and Economics