Re: st: multinomial multilevel analysis in Stata

From   Rosie Chen <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: multinomial multilevel analysis in Stata
Date   Fri, 14 Oct 2011 08:22:03 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks a lot to Cameron and Hind. I am reading the manual and articles suggested below. Very helpful.

I have a couple of more questions below and would appreciate advice from this listserv.

(1) For example, suppose the outcome variable measures the percentage of budget purchasing luxurious items within a person's monthly salary, and it is on a continuous scale. I can recode it into a three-category variable, 1 indicating no purchase at all, 2 indicating larger than zero but smaller than 20%, and 3 indicating 20% or more. Should I treat it as an ordinal outcome or multinomial outcome?

(2) If I treat it as an ordinal outcome and run an ordinal multilevel analysis, how to test the assumption of constant effects of covariates for different categories in the ordinal multilevel analysis?

(3) Do I need to include weighting variable for each level of data, if there are 3 levels in the model? It seems to me to be common to use level 1 weights, but I haven't seen a lot of studies using weights for all levels.

Thank you!

Rosie