re: st: Regression Discontinuity (RD) Designs, sharp discontinuity: basic question about implementation with "rd"

From   "Ariel Linden, DrPH" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   re: st: Regression Discontinuity (RD) Designs, sharp discontinuity: basic question about implementation with "rd"
Date   Tue, 11 Oct 2011 11:09:18 -0400

Hi Stefano,

I am a bit confused by your variables. If I understand correctly, your X
variable is previous job tenure which is ranges from 0-52 months and your
cutoff is 36. However, your "treatment" is whether a person gets severance,
which, I am assuming can be at any point along the X variable continuum?

In the RD design, the cutoff is the treatment assignment, so to make it
work, you'd have to have everyone at or above 36 months receive severance
and everyone below 36 months not receive severance. I am not sure that is
what you have done here?

I am not an economist (I don?t even play one on television), but I am not
sold on the premise that length of previous tenure is associated the outcome
variable (unless it is mediated vis-à-vis the severance). I also assume that
the size of the severance will be associated with the Y variable, and may or
may not have a strong independent association with the X variable (the
recent CEO of HP just got fired after a year on the job and got a
multi-million dollar severance). Thus, the type of position (or perhaps
salary level of previous job) will moderate the relationship.

Therefore, I am not sure you have the right variables, or the right modeling
approach here. Perhaps you should consider switching to a mediation
(controlling for moderators) approach, or perhaps a time series approach
with two or three variables, (a) length of previous job tenure, (b) length
of time unemployed thereafter, (c) relative size of severance?

I hope this helps

Ariel