RE: st: Looking for courses in non-linear modelling and imputation techniques

From   "Jacobs, David" <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Looking for courses in non-linear modelling and imputation techniques
Date   Mon, 10 Oct 2011 20:08:48 +0000

Thanks Nick.  You've provided your usual valuable suggestions.

Haven't tried cubic splines much.  When I tried them, they didn't work, but that probably was due to my failure(s) or a lack of persistence.

I typically do present plots of splines, but I haven't tried your idea about moving cut points; that may work!

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Nick Cox
Sent: Monday, October 10, 2011 4:02 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: Looking for courses in non-linear modelling and imputation techniques

Whenever I use cubic splines, my expectation is that the choice of
knots is not especially important. Knots aren't necessarily thresholds
which need to be matched one to one to a theoretically plausible
story. However, most of the systems I deal with show fairly smooth
behaviour, and things could easily be different with processes
involving e.g. key ages.

The best ways I know to convince a sceptic are

1. to change the knot positions a bit and show insensitivity (if this
fails, the sceptic has a point)

2. to compare with a quite different method, e.g. fractional polynomials

3. to plot a relationship when possible and show that splines give
good summaries

Nick