Re: st: Merging datasets

From   Meredith Anderson <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Merging datasets
Date   Mon, 10 Oct 2011 11:33:33 -0700

I would use joinby, and then drop the records that you don't need.

use treatment.dta
joinby patientid using bloodresults.dta, unmatched(both)

("unmatched(both)" keeps unmatched patient IDs from both datasets. The
default - "unmatched(none)" - is to drop observations connected with a
patient ID that is only in one dataset. The unmatched option will
accept "both", "master", "using" or "none")

To get rid of blood tests after the treatment date:
drop if treatmentdate<testdate & _merge==3

To keep the most recent test before the treatment date:
bysort patientid treatmentdate testdate: assert _N==1
bysort patientid treatmentdate (testdate): drop if _n<_N & _merge==3

If I'm understanding what you need correctly, I think this will do it.