Re: st:how to delete anything in the bracket for a string variable

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st:how to delete anything in the bracket for a string variable
Date   Sun, 9 Oct 2011 14:38:53 +0100

Many people call () brackets, so it don't think it is widely
considered to be an error.

Nick

On Sun, Oct 9, 2011 at 2:24 PM, Amanda Fu <[email protected]> wrote:
> Dear Tirthankar and Nick,
>
> Thank you both  for your help.  I learned how to deal with this task
> from your suggestions.
>
> Sorry that I confused () parentheses with [] brackets. Thanks to Nick
> for pointing this out.
>
> Best regards,
> Amanda Fu
>
> On Sun, Oct 9, 2011 at 3:27 AM, Nick Cox <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Tirthankar's kind of solution is much to be preferred, but there is no
>> reason to suppose that -substr()- does not work here
>>
>> In Amanda's examples, this should work:
>>
>> replace name = substr(name, 1, strpos(name, "(") - 1)
>>
>> This is not in one-to-one correspondence with Tirthankar's solution,
>> as it assumes that the important stuff comes first, and it also zaps
>> anything after the ")", but the solution is then just more
>> complicated, not impossible.
>>
>> Many people call () parentheses, sometimes round brackets; [] brackets
>> or square brackets, and {} braces or curly brackets.
>>
>> Either way, -trim()- is also useful here to remove any leading or
>> trailing spaces.
>>
>> Nick
>>
>> On Sun, Oct 9, 2011 at 6:05 AM, Tirthankar Chakravarty
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> This should work:

>>> clear*
>>> input id   str50     name
>>> 1         "John (joined before 2005)"
>>> 2         "Jenny"
>>> 3         "Kai (joined in 2006; left in 2008)"
>>> 4         "Tom (inconsistent dates)"