RE: st: controlling for covariates in the panel data

From   Cameron McIntosh <[email protected]>
To   STATA LIST <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: controlling for covariates in the panel data
Date   Sat, 8 Oct 2011 20:02:16 -0400

I'm soon going to get a reputation as a grouch but... statistical discussion lists such as Statalist, SEMNET, etc. are not a substitute for the methodological literature. If you are new to both panel data methods and Stata then you will definitely need to do some homework, and possibly more intensive consultation and coaching. People on this list are probably willing to help you with the code, but likely only when your programming/modeling application is at a more advanced and informed stage. See:

Wooldridge, J.M. (2002). Econometric Analysis of Cross Section and Panel Data. MIT Press.

and also the various resources at this link:

http://www.mendeley.com/research/panel-data-methods-microeconometrics-using-stata/

It also sounds like you will need a count regression model (i.e., Poisson, ZIP, etc.), and you should search for papers on "missing data and time-varying covariates"

Hope this helps,

Cam