st: Claims of urgency

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Claims of urgency
Date   Mon, 3 Oct 2011 08:04:46 +0100

Statalist has an explicit warning about claims of urgency in its FAQ at
<http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/res/statalist.html#others>

"Urgency is your concern only Pleas of urgency, desperation, and the
like are deprecated on Statalist. Your urgency, however compelling, is
a private matter and does not translate into urgency for other members
of the list. In fact, labeling your question as urgent is more likely
to lead to your question being ignored by list members, who know that
in most cases urgency arises from disorganization. On Statalist, the
principle of charity is that you answer questions because you are able
and willing to say something about the question, not because you have
pity on the questioner."

It is a mystery why you are not aware of that as new members are asked
to read the FAQ before posting.

It is a fact that most answers to questions are sent very quickly;
those questions that members do not wish to answer -- usually  because
they are too obscure or too general or  because members do not know an
answer -- do not become easier to answer because it is claimed that
they are urgent. No amount of apologies will establish that you are a
special case entitled to subvert or overturn our existing policy.

Nick