st: RE: command stata

From   "Sarah Edgington" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: command stata
Date   Thu, 25 Aug 2011 17:08:08 -0700

Donsaane,
You're unlikely to get much useful advice without more information about
what the variables you currently have look like and what you want the
variable you're creating to look like.  Let's assume for a moment that you
have binary indicators that are 1 if a locality has "good" infrastructure in
a given category and you want to count how many categories of good
infrastructure the locality has.  Then you would simply add the indicator
variables together.  However, I suspect you are looking to do something much
more complicated.  Unless you give us some clue about what you have and what
you hope to end up with, we will simply be guessing wildly.

Please consult the statalist FAQ for advice on how to submit questions that
are more likely to get useful answers.
http://www.stata.com/support/statalist/faq

-Sarah

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Donsaane Dontsi
Saatena
Sent: Thursday, August 25, 2011 4:52 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: st: command stata

Hi,

I am looking for stata's command in order to group many variables into one.
Let's say we have: roads, water , electricity, and we want to group them
into one variable: infrastructures.
could someone help me with the command?

thanks

Donsaane