reL Re: st: multiple imputation and propensity score

From   "Ariel Linden, DrPH" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   reL Re: st: multiple imputation and propensity score
Date   Thu, 25 Aug 2011 13:40:43 -0400

I have a completely different take on this problem than has been discussed
thus far in the thread. That doesn't mean I think these suggestions are
wrong, but I would tackle the problem differently.

First, my primary concern is hearing that Stefano generates multiple
propensity scores for the same individual and that some of them " makes no
sense, being virtually the same in patients treated with angioplasty or
by-pass."

This is problematic for two reasons: first, the propensity score is not
intended to differentiate between treatment and control units, but instead
find a common basis between them (e.g. on average, they should have similar
baseline characteristics with the only difference between them being that
some got treatment and some didn't). Second, I am not sure I agree with
generating multiple propensity scores and then choosing which ones will
represent the match. It is entirely possible under this scenario to generate
completely different matches, with the characteristics being very different
across matched groups.

Those are my basic concerns. Now to solving the problem. One approach to
dealing with missing values is to add a related variable describing its
"missingness", and then use that in the propensity score estimation process.
So for example, if we have a variable "gender" with some values missing,
we'd generate another variable called "gender_miss", with a value of 1 if
gender is missing and 0 if not. I can provide references where this approach
is used.

This solution could be problematic is there are too many missing values
across many different variables, but that is perhaps beyond the scope of
this discussion.

I hope this helps

Ariel