Re: st: string function

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: string function
Date   Wed, 24 Aug 2011 12:37:23 +0100

I just said that they _could_ be written.

At that time, I had forgotten about -egen- solutions for your first
problem in -egenmore- (SSC). Both of those solutions (by Nick Winter
and myself) overlooked what now seems to me a cleaner solution using
-subinstr()- and -length()-. See also

<http://statadaily.wordpress.com/2011/01/20/counting-occurrence-of-strings-within-strings/>

and my Speaking Stata column in SJ 11(1) 2011 for discussion.

I am not aware of coded -egen- solutions for your other problems.

I imagine that they would just be wrappers for those -foreach- loops,
with no gain in efficiency or even comprehensibility.

I'm setting them as an exercise for homework.

Nick